Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Swallow Study and OT/ST/PT Evaluation

We are back from Little Rock. I felt like we were at Arkansas Children's for forever yesterday. I guess if you say we were there from 10:45-3:30 that would feel like forever.

Her swallow study was scheduled for 11. Surprisingly we went right back for it! But, she DID NOT want to drink the flavored milk they had. :( The ONE drink she took she had some mid-level penetration (where the drink goes half way down their windpipe and then back up). I'm not comfortable (and neither are they) with switching her to nectar consistency feeds. For now she will just stay on honey consistency.

Anyway... Blair saw Dr. Lyle (we love him) afterwards for a follow-up yesterday. He said she is doing great and was impressed with her new belly.

She also had a OT/ST/PT (Occupational, Speech and Physical) evaluation. She scored around 17 months (her age) for Occupational Therapy. So, she's doing everything she needs to do for her age. However, when it came time for Speech Therapy and Communicating she scored around 13 months. I knew she wouldn't score very high in this area. I'm thinking about enrolling her in a Gymboree Play and Music class. She really needs to be around kids her age more and be doing things her age. My friend Juli (which is Blair's OT) owns this with her friend and it's right up the street from my house. Hopefully I could enroll her while Baylee is in school once per week or something.

Hugs - Tiff

5 comments:

Lacey said...

I think a gymboree class would be great for her. Congrats on Baylee winning the pagent. Too cute.

toni said...

Don't worry too much; she'll catch up. That said, gymboree sounds like a great idea--couldn't hurt to get her out and about and around some babies her age!

Katy said...

I think a lot of times the second child is less of a communicator--they're got that great sibling around to anticipate their needs, so why bother? I'm sure she'll love Gymboree.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I can't tell you how important it is to get them involved in a mom and tot group or Kindermusik, something that allows them to interact with other children as well as stick with the OT/PT/ST as needed.

Miss Thystle said...

unrelated to this post, I LOVE the new layout!